What Some Folks Have Said…
“This is a great resource for new GF and/or vegan bakers! Being new to the world of gluten-free baking, this book has become a valuable tool in learning how to adapt recipes, substitute flours, as well as the awesome recipes contained in it. The Southwest Scones, Gooey Maple Pumpkin Biscuits, and many more are easy to make and taste great! My very picky 11yr old son requests the Maple Pumpkin Biscuits as well as the Sweet Potato Swirl Bread! Everything we’ve made has turned out beautifully. Great book!” – Gretchen (Amazon.com)
“If you have any experience with gluten-free baking, then you know there are like fifty-bajillion different gluten-free flours. I keep several on hand, but still didn’t have the exact ones for this recipe. Fortunately, Laurie makes substitutions easy, so I was able to churn out this delicious bread, and use up some fast-ripening bananas, without having to go to the store!” – Alisa (GoDairyFree.org)
” In short, we love your book and recipes! You have single-handedly made going gluten free as a family a much smoother process. And the changes in my son have been nothing short of miraculous.” – Ryan P. (via email)
“I personally would recommend the double chocolate muffins (um, I ate most of them out from under my son), the baked maple doughnuts (my son’s absolute favourite), and the chocolate chip scones (HUGE hit with the whole family).” – Lynn (Amazon.ca)
“Laurie, best gf banana bread we have ever made! Thanks so much, can’t wait to try some of your other recipes. I try a ton of different recipes, yours is the best! Fluffy and moist, hard to accomplish with GF ingredients.” – Ted N. (via email)
“I think that you have compiled the information the rest of us could have spent our entire lives trying to figure out. I have been going over your book and I am eager to try adjusting some of my recipes using your tips and suggestions. Basically, you have saved me from having to reinvent the wheel, or rather the cake.” Stephanie N. (via email)
Blog and Website Reviews
For The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread
- All-Creatures: review (here).
- Allergy Bites: review and recipe: Gooey Maple Pumpkin Biscuits (here)
- Andrea’s Easy Vegan Cooking: review and three recipe reviews: Essential Pizza Crust (here) Chocolate Chip Scones (here), Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (here)
- Be Free For Me: a review and a giveaway (ended 03/01/12) (read here)
- Cake Maker to the Stars: a review of the book and multiple recipe reviews: Apple-Chai Scones, Burger Buns, New York-Style Bagels (here), Garlicky Pull-Apart Rolls, Chocolate Chip Scones (here)
- Chez Betty: a brief mention on her cookbook list (here).
- Confessions of an Overworked Mom: a review breaking down all of the information you’ll find inside (here).
- The Gluten-Free Vegan: review and recipe: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (here)
- GF Life 24/7: review and recipe: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (here)
- Go Dairy Free: review and adapted recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (here).
- Go Dairy Free: featured in her article: Best New Gift-Worthy Vegan Cookbooks
- Julie’s Kitchenette: review and four recipe reviews: Chocolate Chip Scones, Apple Chai Scones (with recipe), Maple Kissed Cornbread, Blueberry Scones. This is a two-part review with Kittee (here).
- Living Without Magazine: adapted recipe for Simple Soda Bread (here).
- Native Kitten: a slight adaptation of my Millet Molasses Bread from Bakes Bread. (here)
- The Not-So-Modern Housewife: review and two recipe reviews: Rustic French Bread, Apple Spice Cake (here).
- Planet Lactose: a short promo (read here).
- Savvy Vegetarian: review and three recipe reviews: The Essential Pizza Crust, Old-Fashioned Gingerbread (here), and New York Style Bagels (here).
- Screwfoot Q: review and recipe reviews: Date and Walnut Focaccia and Maple Raisin Bread (here).
- This Dish Is Veg: brief article with a mention of the book (here).
- Turtlehead: review and two recipe reviews: Sugar-Coated Muffin Bites, Double Chocolate Muffins (here).
- Veg News (blog): short feature review at Veg News Magazine (here).
- Wheat-Free.org: review and recipes: Wholesome Flax Bread, Breakfast Cinnamon Buns, Ladenia (here).
- The Willing Cook: review and adapted recipe: Rustic French Bread (here).
- Yummy Allergen-Free: review and adapted recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones (here). (Blogger also submitted a variation of these scones and won a recipe contest: here).
For The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies
- Be Free For Me: a review and giveaway (ended 03/19/13) (here)
- Cake Maker to the Stars: review and multiple recipe reviews: Really Good Peanut Butter Cookies, The Essential Chocolate Chip Cookies, Two Bite Chocolate Covered Cherry Cupcakes (here)
- Confessions of an Overworked Mom: review and recipe review: Nutty and Crunchy No Bake Bars. (here)
- Fit-Bottomed Eats: a review and adapted recipe (using pumpkin!): Orange-Olive Oil Cake (here)
- Fit-Bottomed Eats: Listed as the winner of the category for Best Birthday Cake in the 2013 Noshie Awards for the adaptation of my Orange-Olive Oil Cake (here)
- The Gluten-Free Maven: review and recipe: Chocolate Chunk Orange Bundt Cake. (here)
- Living Without Magazine: brief review of Cakes and Cookies. (here)
- Made of Stars: recipe review via Uberdish’s review on my Cakes and Cookies book. (here)
- National Foundation for Celiac Awareness: Listed as a Hot Product in April 2013 newsletter (here)
- The Real Deal by Retail Me Not: Listed in The Best Stuff for Allergic Kids. (here)
- Regarding Recipes: review and recipe: Orange Spice Cookies. (here)
- Regarding Recipes: review and adapted recipe: Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies. (here)
- Soul Food: review of both Cakes and Cookies and my Chocolate Mint Brownies recipe (here)
- Uberdish: review of my talk at Ottawa Veg Fest, both books, and recipe: Wild Blueberry Brunch Cake. (here)
- Vegan Eats and Treats: review and recipe reviews: Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake, Tahinopita, Chocolate Chunk Tahini Cookies (here)
- Vegetarian Mamma: review (here)
- The Year of the Vegan: review and recipe reviews: Loaded Carrot Cake, Chocolate Cupcakes, Essential Chocolate Chip Cookies, Double Chocolate Cookies with Raisins, and Rich and Fudgy Brownies. (here)
For The Allergy-Free Cook Makes Pies and Desserts
- Andrea’s Easy Vegan Cooking: an upcoming preview of Pies and Desserts; Andrea was a tester. (here)
- Cake Maker to the Stars: review and multiple recipe reviews: Peanut Butter Blondie Pie with Cocoa Crust, Carrot Cake Tart, Deep Dish Apple Crumble Pie (here)
- Celiac and the Beast: review and recipe reviews: Maple Apple Pecan Crisp (here)
- Chic Vegan: review and recipe review: Maple-Apple-Pecan Crisp and Chocolate-Pumpkin Custards (here)
- Go Dairy Free: review and adapted recipe for Fudgy Mocha Pudding Cake (here)
- Julie’s Kitchenette: review and recipe for Apple Cider Pudding Cake (here)
- National Foundation for Celiac Awareness: review and listed as a Hot Product (here)
- Hipster Food/Chickpea Magazine: review and recipe: Lemon-Blueberry Pudding Cake (here)
- Wheat-Free.org: review and recipe reviews: Chocolate-Cherry Cheesecake, Cranberry Pie with Maple Cashew Cream, and Blueberry Toaster Pastries (here)
- The It’s All About Food Show: interview with Caryn Hartglass; from the folks at Responsible Living and Eating. Listen here. (The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread)
- The It’s All About Food Show: interview with Caryn Hartglass; from the folks at Responsible Living and Eating. Listen here. (The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies)
- Health First; interview with Dave Fuller; from Boomer Radio (93.1 CFIS-FM). Not online.
- TheAlliB. Inspiration Show: Episode 23: Laurie Sadowski: The Allergy-Free Cook
- Jazzy Vegetarian: Episode “Let’s Get Fit!”
- The Dr. Melanie Show: Episode: “Food Facts and Allergy-Free Goodies”. Listen here on Voice America. Listen here on iTunes.
Television and Video
- Fox12; Oregon–MORE: Easier options making gluten-free bread; Julie Hasson joins MORE to talk about making some warm, gluten-free bread for the holidays. (watch it here)
Newspapers and Magazines
- St. Catharines Standard: interview and recipe: Wholesome Flax Bread (here) (10/24/2011)
- St. Catharines Standard: feature article on the launch ofThe Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies. Also in the Welland Tribune and Niagara Falls Review. (02/04/2013)
- Gluten Intolerance Group magazine, v.35, Spring 2012: a review of my book and the recipe for Millet-Molasses Bread (this is a subscription-based magazine, available here).
- Taste for Life magazine, September 2012: an article on Whole- Grain Goodness, which includes a recipe for my Maple-Kissed Cornbread from The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Bread.
- Living Without magazine, August/September 2013: a brief review of The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies. Online and in-print.
- Allergic Living Magazine, Spring 2013: under Allergy Shots, among the spring book reviews is The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies. In-print, page 13.
- Allergic Living Magazine, Fall 2013: under Allergy-Friendly Cookbooks; a brief review of The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies. Read it here.
- FARE (Food Allergy and Research Education) Newsletter, Summer 2013 issue: The Wild Blueberry Brunch Cake from The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies is featured in FARE’s summer issue of Food Allergy News. Read it here.
- Healthwise Ottawa, Winter 2013/14; interview/article in Nutrition or Poison: Eating Well Allergy-Free. Download the .pdf copy of the magazine here.